Values and Mission
If we had to sum up what we and our supporters stand for, here’s what it would be:
- We’re proud of our spectacular wild places and wildlife, and love them just as they are.
- We want to protect them as much for their sake as for our own.
- Wilderness is an ark – a storehouse upon which all life depends. As best as we can, we must keep it whole, diverse, unfragmented.
- Wild nature is our commonwealth; to diminish it is to impoverish ourselves.
- We have a responsibility to preserve our natural heritage for future generations.
And here is our formal mission statement:
The Wilderness Workshop’s mission is to protect and conserve the wilderness and natural resources of the Roaring Fork Watershed, the White River National Forest, and adjacent public lands.
WW is a non-profit organization that engages in research, education, legal advocacy and grassroots organizing to protect the ecological integrity of local landscapes and public lands. We focus on the monitoring and conservation of air and water quality, wildlife species and habitat, natural communities and lands of wilderness quality.